Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pumpkin Time





Prior to grocery shopping last weekend I was looking through Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls River Cottage Cookbook and came upon a stuffed pumpkin dish that I knew I had to try. This is pure, rustic, autumn country cooking at it's finest. He had hollowed out a medium sized pumpkin, filled it with Gruyere cheese and cream, then baked it until the pumpkin flesh was cooked through and the inside molten. Pretty simple.
I found miniature pumpkins at the market and decided to localize the ingredients by using aged Vermont Cheddar and dried cranberries but then then threw the whole localvore gimmick out the window with the addition of Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Tartufo.

I used 3 parts Cheddar, 1 part Parmigiano and 1 part Pecorino. I mixed in grated nutmeg, black pepper and a little salt with the cheese.
After deseeding the pumpkins I put a layer of dried cranberries in the bottom, filled them with the cheese mixture to the top, added cream, also to the top. placed the lids back on and baked at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes until the flesh pierced easily with a fork. As I said, this is about as easy as it gets to obtain something that tastes so good.

2 comments:

jhenrysmith said...

try pickled squash too. it's a great fall condiment.

Heidi said...

Thank you for the recipe, I made this last night! I had no cheddar but just used the parm, the result was very rich but delicious!